Military Museum of Tasmania

 Military Museum of Tasmania

The museum, based in part of Anglesea Barracks Hobart, is the oldest continuously used barracks in Australia.   The museum displays British and then Australian Defense force artifacts and history
Anglesea Barracks were built in December 1811. on the instructions of Lachlan Macquarie, after a visit to review the defenses of Hobart from the sea.
This Barracks precinct is recognized as one of Australia’s most significant historical military precincts and its appearance today is much as it was when the first buildings were constructed in 1814.

The Museum is located in the Military Gaol which was built in 1847. This building is little changed from when it was fist built even though over the years it has also been used as a Girls Reformatory, a married quarter, a store and offices.

Volunteers operate the Museum. Displays interpret the colonial period when the British Army occupied the site and the various conflicts Tasmanian service men and women have been involved in from 1899 to the current operational deployments.

Opening Hours:

Tuesdays 9 am – 1pm (guided tours of the Barracks at 11am)
Thursdays 9am – 1pm
Saturdays 9am – 1pm

Anglesea Barracks, Davey St
Hobart TAS 7000, Australia
+61 3 6237 7160
militarymuseumtasmania.org.au